Thursday, May 24, 2018

The One Question We Must Answer, Daily!
©GC Diaries

Life can be demanding.
It has so many difficult asks.

It's easy to forget what we ask of it.

I have heard that the quality of your life is determined by the quality of your questions.

So in search of answers, I flipped the script.

Instead, I took some time to think about the most important question I was ever asked in my whole life.

Surprisingly, it was not from an interview, whose job finances our livelihoods.

Nor was it from an exam paper set by a very wise Professor with thick glasses.

This question, it turns out, was asked by my first grade (Grade 1) teacher in primary school....at a sugar plantation town called Triangle, Zimbabwe.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU GROW UP?
I may not recall my answer then, but everyday, it is the question I want to ask myself.

The one question I must answer, daily.

It is a question that calls me to dream,
To open my eyes and see potential/possibilities beyond now's shortcomings and limitations.
To ignite that aspirational flame of a better me and a better tomorrow.
To challenge today
To choose to live and act with passion and intent
To answer my destiny and respond to the devine call on my life.

Because I may be here now,
A few kilos overweight,
A few tears on my cheeks & blood on my nose,
A few scars from past mistakes,
A little worn out by battles in the trenches,
A few empty seats in my heart,
and
A few dollars short.

But when I ask myself this question.
The future rolls a red carpet in front of me,
Inviting me to have a glimpse of bright possibilities that lie ahead,
Inspiring me to use my rock bottom as the solid foundation of my success.
A call for renewed vigour and action.

For tomorrow gives us all a chance for a new beginning,
A new choice,
A new thinking,
A new path,
Towards what we want to be when we grow up.

This question,
I ask myself everyday....in my quiet time.

It forces me to ask again, yet another question:
Is what I am doing now,
The way I am living now,
Will it take me there?
To that person I want to become and that place I want to be,
...tomorrow, next week, month, year or decade.

Because it is so true
That what you become when you grow up,
Is determined by what you do when you wake up.

To grow and keep growing,
You have to keep asking:

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO WHEN I GROW UP?

 ©GC Diaries


No comments:

Post a Comment